Immaculate Conception is a Roman Catholic community in downtown Durham led by Franciscan Friars. We are a multi-cultural and stewardship parish called, gifted, and sent to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ through worship, parish-wide faith formation, our parish school, pastoral care, and living the church's social teaching.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date information, or read our weekly Church Bulletin.
The Church’s roots date back to 1867 when a group from Lockhaven, PA settled the land and became some of the first Catholics in the area. Priests from Raleigh and Newton Grove came to celebrate Mass and serve the faithful. In 1901, the parish moved to a space where they could set up pews, an altar, a confessional, and other furnishings--creating the first real Catholic worship place in Durham. On January 14, 1906, the 106 members of the Immaculate Conception community formally dedicated their new church.