Bull City Fair Trade, previously known as One World Market, began in 1991 in the basement of Watts Street Baptist Church in Durham, NC. Bull City Fair Trade is part of a worldwide movement that is striving to improve the livelihood of disadvantaged people in developing countries through the expansion of fair trade. https://bullcityfairtrade.com
Fair trade is an ethical, environmentally conscious, sustainable business approach rooted in dialogue, respect, and transparency. It is a set of principles that focuses on opportunities for disadvantaged artisans and farmers living in developing countries. Fair trade is not charity, but a long-term system that seeks justice in the international trading system.
This system of exchange seeks to create greater equity and partnership in the international trading system by:
• Creating Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers
• Developing Transparent and Accountable Relationships
• Building Capacity
• Promoting Fair Trade
• Paying Promptly and Fairly
• Supporting Safe and Empowering Working Conditions
• Ensuring the Rights of Children
• Cultivating Environmental Stewardship
• Respecting Cultural Identity
Fair Trade can empower the poorest of the poor by providing a holistic approach to trade and development that aims to alter the ways in which commerce is conducted. Fair Trade Organizations seek to create sustainable and positive change in developing and developed countries.